About the job
Angaza creates software that enables businesses to sell life-changing products, on credit, to low-income consumers in emerging markets. Our technology uses an IoT network of connected devices, mobile payments, and machine learning to accelerate the adoption of solar energy systems, smartphones, and appliances.
Over 2 billion people across the globe live off-grid or are unbanked. Connecting this population to power, productive-use appliances, and financial services represents a $400 Billion+ current market opportunity. Angaza’s B2B technology platform enables distribution businesses in emerging markets to grow their revenue by over 8x by extending their sales and credit offerings to this consumer base.
When a family in Tanzania (or Nicaragua, or Nigeria, or India…) pays a weekly installment on their new home solar installation, their payment is processed by Angaza backend software. When a distributor monitors the repayment performance of their loan portfolio, they use an Angaza web application to do so. Our software is already used by businesses in 50+ countries around the world to improve the daily lives of over 5 million people.
You will be a core member of the Network Partnerships team, empowering Angaza’s business customers across the world to accept digital payments from millions of consumers. Our focus is reliability, rigour, and customer trust. We have developed 100+ digital payment and messaging partnerships, and an important focus of your time will be directly engaging with new and existing partners to expand the breadth and capabilities of this network.
The team has full ownership over critical payment and notification infrastructure. Therefore, you will have the freedom to apply your engineering skills toward new strategies for improving the performance, resilience, and functionality of this infrastructure.
At the end of the internship, you should be able to:
- Write code for new features, to set up new integrations, fix bugs, and to improve existing systems.
- Actively participate in code reviews (review your colleague’s code)
- Actively engage various stakeholders to support projects that involve multiple companies.
- Angaza is made up of a number of engineering teams who regularly jointly work on shared projects. You will be expected to actively participate in cross-team working groups aligned with your technical interests.
Requirements And Expectations For This Role
- You have recently graduated or are pending graduation from an I.T. related undergraduate course.
- You have a passion for coding and you have completed at least 1 backend project.
- You are fairly comfortable coding in Python and can pass a programming interview conducted in the same.
- You have a passion for writing code clean maintainable code.
- You have a growth-oriented attitude, motivated to learn & grow while sharing knowledge with others.
- You demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Angaza is a for-profit company based in Nairobi and San Francisco.
Employees Receive Salary And Competitive Benefits That Include
- company-sponsored private medical plan
- pension plan with company contribution
- quarterly professional development allocation
- team & mission you can believe in
Our Commitment to DEI
At Angaza, we evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.